I’ve been using avocado lately in salads and other savory dishes where you would expect it but I decided to try out avocado in something sweet and I was really happy with the results! I replaced all the butter in these brownies with avocado and it turned out really delicious! I’m a big fan of peanut butter with chocolate so I decided to swirl some on top. The result is brownies that are fudgy and deeply chocolaty with just the right amount of peanut butter.
There are many reasons to love avocados: their creamy taste, their impressive fiber content, about 2 grams per ounce, and the many vitamins (B6, C, K, folate…) they contain. Plus, the potassium helps to regulate blood pressure and the healthy fats are very beneficial.
I found this side by side comparison of avocado vs. butter:
Wow! Quite the difference! Even though you should still eat these brownies in moderation I feel A LOT better about them! 🙂
- 2 large, ripe avocados mashed until creamy (about 1 cup)
- 8 ounces semisweet or dark chocolate, melted (I used the microwave in 30 second intervals stirring between each interval)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips to be stirred in before baking
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (for swirling on top)
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together mashed avocados, melted chocolate and coconut oil until smooth and creamy. Whisk in sugar. Mix in eggs, one at a time, until well combined. Add vanilla and chocolate chips.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Stir flour mixture and 1/4 cup chocolate chips into avocado mixture until just combined.
- Spread batter into the prepared pan.
- Spoon the peanut butter over the top of the brownie mixture and using a knife, swirl it through the chocolate mixture.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool and then cut into squares.