Peanut Butter-Pumpkin Dog Treats
I didn’t want to leave Missy out of the pumpkin craze so I baked up these little dog treats! I don’t know about your dog but Missy LOVES peanut butter! All I have to do is unscrew the lid on the peanut butter and she wakes up out of a dead sleep and comes running. Then she stares me down until I giver her a taste! She was sooo happy about these treats and as you can see in the photo, she was just barely able to wait to eat one! I made these in the shape of leaves for fall. 🙂 They are super easy to throw together, just mix everything together, roll out and cut into shapes and bake!
Flour the surface where you plan to roll these out. If they seem too sticky add a bit more flour.
Cut out the shapes with your favorite cookie cutter and place onto a parchment lined baking sheet. I sprayed mine lightly with cooking spray. I wanted a dryer treat than the last treats I made. One; because Missy likes crunchy treats and two; because the dryer the treat the longer it will last. Keep in mind though that these are all natural treats with no preservatives so I would only safely store them in a treat jar for 5 days. You can store them in the refrigerator for a month and the freezer for 3 months.
Show your doggie some love and bake these easy treats up today! <3
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin (only use pure pumpkin puree, not the pie filling)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter (smooth or crunchy, I used all natural smooth)
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- water (I used 1/8 cup of water, you may need more or less)
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Place all ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Roll out dough to 1/4" thickness and cut with cookie cutters.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. (see note below for a dryer cookie)
- In addition to the 30 minute bake time, lower your oven to 200 degrees and bake for an hour. Check on them though to make sure they aren't getting too brown. Turn off oven and leave treats in the oven to cool.
Missy’s Favorite Dog Biscuits
I made these treats for Missy’s 11th birthday today and they are her new favorite! She loves carrots and I had a lot in the fridge that needed to be used so I grated a carrot and added some applesauce for a healthy homemade treat. I used little heart cookie cutters and they are the perfect size for her. Just use whatever cookie cutters you happen to have lying around. The dog doesn’t really care…hehe!
- 1 cup Apple Sauce (sugar free)
- 1/2 cup grated Carrot (approximately one medium carrot)
- 1 3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/4 cup Oats
- 1/4 cup Wheat Germ
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat
- 2. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until well combined.
- 3. Knead dough into ball and roll onto a floured surface 1/4 inch thick. Cut into shapes with your favorite cookie cutters.
- 4. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Cool completely and refrigerate.