I have to admit, I’m not very good at making omelettes! Folding one side over the other, making sure they are actually done in the center, keeping the filling INSIDE the omelette, it’s all just too much for me! This omelette is just as good as any I’ve ever eaten and SO much easier!! The best thing about this omelette (besides the ingredients) is that it’s BAKED in the oven! No folding required! It’s filled with potatoes, onion and bacony-cheesey goodness! This serves two very hearty servings so bring your appetite for this one!
The first thing you’ll do is preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Get out your bacon and cut in 1-inch slices crosswise. (I use my kitchen shears for this) Get the bacon going in an 8-inch oven proof saute pan until nice and brown. Dice up your onions and chop the potatoes while the bacon cooks. Also go ahead and dice up the cheese and grate a little for the top for later.
Drain the bacon on paper towels and then discard the bacon fat. No need to wash the pan though, just add the butter to the pan and also go ahead and spray the pan with nonstick spray, even if it is non-stick. I find it’s much easier to get the omelette out and looking pretty if you spray it first. After the butter melts add the potato and onion. Cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to brown and the potato is tender but firm. Add the jalapeno pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- 1/4 pound thick-cut bacon
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter (if you use salted butter add less salt to this recipe!)
- 1 cup medium diced potato (I used red potatoes, you don't need to peel them)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp minced jalopeno pepper (half a pepper unless you like it extra hot)
- 6 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp half and half or milk
- 1 tsp kosher salt (if you use table salt then use only 3/4 of a tsp)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, both white and green parts
- 4 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, diced, plus extra grated cheese, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the bacon crosswise in 1-inch slices.
- Cook the bacon in an 8-inch ovenproof saute pan over medium-low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned.
- Drain the bacon on paper towels and discard the fat from the pan.
- Add the butter to the pan, and then add the potato and onion.
- Cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to brown and the potato is tender but firm. Add the jalapeno pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Beat the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper together with a fork in a medium bowl.
- Stir in the scallions and diced cheddar.
- Add the bacon to the pan and pour over the egg mixture once the potato is cooked.
- Place the pan in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until the omelet puffs and the eggs are almost cooked in the center.
- Sprinkle with a handful of grated Cheddar and bake for another minute. Serve hot.
- If you like very little salt in your food then cut back on the salt added. Remember that the bacon and cheese bring some salty flavor to the food already.