When I wake up on a Saturday morning and I want just want something quick and easy these blueberry muffins are great! They are loaded with sweet juicy blueberries and the hint of lemon zest adds just the right amount of tartness. This recipe only makes 4 muffins, two for each of you and you’ll want two; one just won’t cut it! I could have had all four but we’re supposed to be practicing a little restraint here. I mean that’s what this site is all about! Portion control for two! Plus, it’s not nice to not share. 🙂
Blueberries are one of those fruits you can get at the grocery store when they aren’t in season and they still taste really good.
Blend the dry ingredients together in a bowl and whisk the wet ingredients, (yogurt, egg, and lemon zest) until smooth in another bowl. After mixing both together gently fold in the blueberries and coconut oil, or butter if you prefer.
Sprinkle the lemon zest-sugar mixture before baking.
Bake in a 325 degree oven until golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes, rotating halfway through baking.
…and you’re done! See how easy that was? Remember to share and if you don’t feel like you’ve had enough bake them again on Sunday morning! 🙂
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, divided
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup blueberry yogurt or plain if you don't have blueberry
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil melted and cooled, or butter if you prefer
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Spray 4 cups of a muffin tin with baking spray.
- Combine sugar and lemon zest in a bowl and set aside for sprinkling on top of batter before baking.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk yogurt, egg, and remaining 1/4 tsp. lemon zest together until smooth. Gently fold yogurt mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined, then fold in the melted butter and blueberries.
- Divide the batter evenly among the 4 prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle sugar topping over muffins. Bake until muffins are golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center of muffin comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes, rotating muffin tin halfway through baking.
- Let muffins cool in the muffin tin on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove muffins from muffin tin and let cool for 10 minutes before serving, if you can wait that long!